26 October, 2008

Bergen history lesson..

 Vikings..
Yes we are the Vikings, and we are always ready....
 
 Noo. I'm just joking.
This one is a replica from one of the many ships we had. It was working by sail or by rowing.
It's named after the King Haakon Haakonsson
 
In the front, they always put some creatures to scare of the enemy 
  
This one is not a Viking.
Here name was "Madam Felle" and in the old days she had a bar/pub where people could come and get drunk..
  
At the bottom of the statue it shows how they believe it was
  
Back to old history again.
This is the place of the first woman hospital (st. catherine's hospital)
  
  
  
And now at the end we are entering the Bryggen Museum (Harbor museum) 
This is from the old old parts, who was burned down in year 1170
Her is items from excavation and from old buildings in Bergen
  
  
  
  
Thise one shows toys.
On the right you kan see a early model of a ice skate, there is allso a ball and some other stuff.
  
This is a model of the old Bergen around year 1200 - 1300
around year 1300 Bergen was a trading center of European importance. The city had between 5 and 10,000, maybe about 7,000 inhabitants, and was clearly the largest and most important in the country. In European standards was a averige big city.
  
This is one of the Norwegians Kings (Magnus Lagabøte), in old old days Bergen was the capitol of Norway and the place the Kings ruled the country
  
Thise one shows the clothing and work/home
  
 This was all for now, hope you found it interesting.
And as usual.
Norwegian news in English



Photo & Text Copyright bskaad (my.life.in.bergen@gmail.com). All rights reserved, including reproduction or republishing

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, nice blog with a lot of great shots from the grat city of Bergen. Do you upload your shots to Zooomr or Flickr?

I too live in Bergen and take a lot of photos.

Svein H. Djupvik

My life in bergen said...

Hi.
Tahanks for the comment on my blog.

I use Picassa & blogger for all of my pictures and posting.

Kyle and Svet Keeton said...

Hi BSKAAD,

Thank you for a very interesting article and beautiful pictures! I think I looked closely at each of them - such a pleasure!

Best wishes,
Svet and Kyle

Richard said...

Niceeeeee.Thanks,i love Viking history.

My life in bergen said...

Hi Richard.

My pleasure, and i learn some too by going around in the city.

Eki said...

interesting story and artifacts. I'm always intrigued by stories about The Viking and their boats.

My life in bergen said...

Hi Eki Akhwan.

Thanks for the comment on my post.

The Vikings was travelers and explorers, they travel allot around Europe and story say even to other continents.
They where warrior's but also farmers/fishermen's and not as brutal as the story says.

Helena said...

Very interesting article, My Viking Friend! How is the little Princess doing? And the Mrs.? Hope all is going great for you.

My life in Bergen said...

Hi Helena.

Thanks for the feedback on my post.

Our Princess is doing just fine, she has now turned 4,5 months and is growing rapidly.
My Mrs. is doing just fine too (she agree:-))

My life is smiling from ear to ear and i have no reason for complaining.

I try to follow your posting and i enjoy your pictures very much.

JeaneBee said...

I always think of the Vikings when Norway is mentioned.

What beautiful scenery....we live in the midwest area of the United States and lakes and water make me so envious.

Thank you for submitting your photos, they are wonderful.

JeaneBee
http://bluemondie.blogspot.com

My life in bergen said...

Hi JaneBee.

Thank you for the commenting on my post.

Yes the Vikings are a big part of our history, not just as worriers but also as farmers, fishermen, explorer's and traders.

When it comes too water, we are the lucky ones. Although it can be a little to much some times :-)